Sunday 4 March 2012

Making of the Digipak Inside Panel 1

I thought we were going to make a standard 4 panel digipak, but talking more about the ideas and inspirations for the digipak we thought we needed more panels and decided to make a 6 panel digipak. I felt this presented more of a challenge but some of us took charge of certain sections. Then I  would help to edit them together using Adobe Photoshop and Fireworks to create the final digipak.
As part of an preliminary task I finished ideas for a 4 panel digipak for practise, before we start on our groups 6 panel digipak. I remember showing it to other peers in my class designing there own, they really liked what I had produced and were impressed with the fact I distinguished a compelling colour scheme.

I designed most of the digipak, which has taken me a lot more hours than I thought it would. Its definitely not a days work, because we want it to look professional I am constantly changing and experimenting with the layout, colour scheme of the album.
Some weeks ago Mark in our group showed me four photographs and 2 of them which was his favourite, I too really liked suggested he combine the both of them. One of them was of these harrowing long tree and we cropped of the second image the beautiful full moon to edge of the sky onto the tree image. I showed him some simple editing tools to crop, merge and change the colour as the final inside panel 1 of the digipak.

A link to Mark's blog on the making of Inside panel 1 http://mymusicvideoalevel.blogspot.com/2012/03/cd-panel-design.html).

 The design shares a similar pattern I created for the front cover, but instead in four large strips making the one image of the circular tree (above). Originally we tried these images in the single colours alone for the whole image. Mark liked what I did with the front cover and decided to make them too into strips into different hues of blue and orange.

I thought the colour scheme was perfect, and that they worked really well together. The inside panel led me to change the front panel into the same colour scheme as for the rest of the digipak to have a strict colour scheme. Therefore, I needed to translate the nature of this panel into the front, which I thought worked better than the white, black and yellow of the former front cover.

I examined the front cover physically when I printed into an average CD cover, and unfortunately the yellow of the font could not be red beneath the graphic white and black collage artwork. I feel that it will work out for the best to change the colour palette to more of a light and soft mix of primary and secondary colour scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment