Saturday 3 March 2012

Fonts for the Digipak

I chose this font called ‘denial’ because of it simplicity and making it yellow made it more bright and eye catching. The size of the font is 48 so when I position it on the front cover of the digipak its clear to see for audience when on the store shelf. I choose this typography based on its clean and slim appearance and intriguing subtle twist of the ‘N' in Unrest, while making a connection to the mood of the album. Perhaps all his life is in reverse and that is what his story could be all about. So I feel this font works well as the official font for the artist name and album font, because the artist is a brand so selecting a typography or logo for the artist it must stand as the official representation of the artist, whereby people can recognise his style/brand.
The process of finding the right font I used a variety of resources. I tried to make fonts over on Adobe Photoshop I also used simpler programmes such as Paint and Microsoft Word to develop some ideas. I also searched on the Internet for potential fonts that best fits the album name Unrest. So I downloaded denial and I really liked the reversed  ‘N’ in Unrest , it emphases the idea of tiredness, confusion that feeling that we don’t always have it together. Most importantly that is clear for audience to identify and read if they were to pick up in a music store.
In my second experiment I embossed the font, creating an internal black line that I thought ruined its appearance by darkening the bright yellow, and did nothing to improve it. On the other hand, I like the slight distortion around the first letters.
Next is my final experiment to enhance the appearance of the font I made two of the same effect, whereby, I created a reflection of both words. The artist name above uses a half reflection (touching). While the album name is a full reflection (touching). I think this makes for an interesting connection to the albums theme of distress and complication.

No comments:

Post a Comment