Wednesday 14 March 2012

Making of the Digipak CD

I found that the CD designing process was the longest and most stressful part of the digipak. I wanted to keep what I designed in the first digipak and change the colour to the new colour scheme. When it came down to it I could see it didn't have the same quality and powerful relationship between the colours instead it became dull.
So I spent hours making a new concept for the CD, and experienced a tough time finding out what works and what doesn't then I finally made some adjustments I was pleased with.

On the left is what I had created before and cropped into the shape of a CD. The image is an amazing painting by Salvador Dali called 'The rose'. We  associate roses with love and romance. I took the main area of the painting and divided it into three strips; the first on the left is in yellow/green, the centre is in black and white, and the final strip on the right is turquoise.
The same concept was used in the Inside panel 1 mark designed for the digipak using alternative colours, which I now have to incorporate into the design of the new CD.

On the right is the complete CD I designed the first time, as you can there are guidelines in a shape of a CD. I could only get this using Microsoft Publisher.
I liked keeping the CD black because it was simple and clean. As for the design that changed, so I cropped the painting of 'The Rose' even more, down to the rose only and made it light and dark blue like the colours used in the new front and inside panel 1.  
I think the final design of the CD is far more improved and shows a more professional outlook than the first one (above), because I studied other Cd's of other artist albums.



Unlike before I added important CD details above under the larger text:-
oliverfox.net
© 2012 Riddle Records. /WARNING: All Rights Reserved. Unauthorised duplication is a violation of applicable laws./5691034/ Made in the EU/ LC 00288
To produce this information I looked at a CD at home the Michael Jackson album 'MICHAEL', to construct professional copyrights information onto the CD. I see that it can exceed from just being labelled on the back panel, but all the Cd's I reviewed physically at home and on the Internet had some form of copyright text linked to the artists record label and website. This information I made it white. 

Using the guidelines on Microsoft Publisher, I could easily crop it into a CD. I prefer this CD design more than what I formally made. I can see people opening up the digipak and liking the subtly of the CD panel.

What I also witnessed on some Cd's were the album tracks listed on it. Some had it straight like I had the text on the top of the CD, while others have it circle around the edge if the CD. I too used this technique for the album track list. This I made in orange that is in connection with the new colour scheme for the digipak.  

The final stage of making the CD was the record label logo, another key thing in all professional examples were a logo for the record label the artist/band are signed to. Oliver Fox is signed to Riddle Records, a name created Hannah, which I has a nice ring to it. So I created the logo using the font Bauhaus, which is thick using the first two letters of the name of the label, then combining them to flip the R's on each other in opposite directions. People thought the logo was dynamic and cool and that they would remember such a logo.
I made the logo orange, which worked well with the orange text below. I feel balanced out the layout of the CD visually well.

No comments:

Post a Comment