Monday 20 February 2012

Ideas for the Front Panel of the Digipak

Apart form making the music video the brief also insist we produce other promotional material of our choice. Our group has decided as part of the Ancillary Task to design a magazine advert and the digipak.

Here the briefs says:
1. A promotion package for the release of an album, to include a music promo video, together with two of the following three options:
  • a website homepage for the band;
  • a cover for its release as part of the digipak (CD/DVD package);
  • a magazine advertisement for the digipak (CD/DVD package).
I decided to design the the single of the music video we are creating 'Nights of Broken Sleep' as a form of design practise prior to the digipak that I design later as part of my ancillary tasks. Below I have produced a variation of one idea and another on influential people that in history never grew tired of the desire for change, this was a long , but enjoyable process producing the several ideas for the digipak.

The production of the digipak is ultimately the job of an graphic designer, but I think I can bring my creative streak into developing some cool and unique design ideas for the potential CD cover. So I had to take into consideration the software's I could to the best of my ability because last year we worked heavily on the promotional material for the artist, I am familiar with the process in which I have to go through to produce Cd cover. For instance the font that use does it fit best with the genre that is your artist, is the artwork original photography or drafted off the Internet? All important areas and more to evaluate when making up ideas for the CD cover.

I was inspired to develop a collage artwork for the cover. Many of the photography was taken by our team member Hannah. While also consisting a section of the actresses face that is obsessed over in the video.

This cover is an alternate version of the one above, in reverse order. the colour scheme being limited to just black and white, I think it holds more mystery like the artist in the video.

The theme of this cover art is of the most influential people form Winston Churchill to Martin Luther King. I took the idea of Broken sleep is what these individuals went through when fighting for what they believed in. Radika came up with idea and I thought I might experiment with it and select ultimate figures in history.

I personally like this cover art, it uses the same images cultivated in the first cover above. Only that it block at most areas featuring only Salvador Dali's painting 'The Rose', sleeping pills, and water balloon. I was inspired by stain glass windows, and this idea that is where the artist in the video may want to seek forgiveness for his actions.


I use a unique bubble typography in the first, however, I don't think suits an indie artist.

This font is alot less chunky than the first one, I like this one because of the blue glow around it, this reminded me of X-files. A show about investigating alien life.


This was the first text I considered for the first cover art, other than liking the small distortion in the text, I didn't think fit well with the image of our artist. the font we chose for the artist make is key because it will become an official representation/reflection of artist brand and logo.

From designing the single for the video that I am directing was a great form of practise to get out some ideas through developing ideas in connection with the title of the songs that I could do the same with unrest, by choosing images or themes that depict that feeling of Unrest. I would like to develop one of these ideas further for the cover of the digipak. I think with some research of other professional digipak our group can devise a great digipak for our artist Oliver Fox.

2 comments:

  1. A really good start. remember we need ALL the stages of your digipak design, every part in detail including tracklisting and record company name etc and a view of each bit of your final design mocked up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks very good,you've clearly put loads of effort into this and it looks wonderful! I'll keep you up-to-date with how i'm getting on.

    ReplyDelete